SOUNDERS 1, CHARLOTTE 1: After a couple regrettable misses, Jordan Morris found the equalizer, heading home Alex Roldan’s left-footed cross. Fredy Montero got a secondary assist.
SOUNDERS 0, CHARLOTTE 1: Ben Bender put away a rebound after Jordy Alcivar’s free kick from just outside the penalty area hit off the far post and fell to the attacker’s feet.
LINEUPS: The Seattle Sounders are using what is now effectively their first-choice lineup, with Obed Vargas replacing the injured João Paulo. It’s the second time they’ve used this lineup.
the Seattle Sounders face Charlotte FC for the first-ever time on Sunday, which starts a stretch of five straight home games. Charlotte has surprised many observers by getting off to a reasonably strong start, currently sitting seventh in the Eastern Conference. But that’s based almost entirely on their home form, as they’re just 0-5-1 on the road. That doesn’t even include a loss to the New York Red Bulls in US Open Cup play on Wednesday, a match in which they used what was effectively their first-choice starting XI.
To add to Charlotte’s concerns, they’ll be without Designated Player Karol Świderski, who is with the Poland national team.
The Sounders, for their part, know this is a virtual must-win match. Not because the stakes are so high, but because it’s probably the most winnable of five upcoming straight home games. The Sounders should have a full complement of starters available, a group that has gone 6-1-0 at home in all competitions this year.
- This will be the 10th time the Sounders have hosted an expansion team in their inaugural season. The Sounders are 4-1-4 in those previous meetings.
- Although the Sounders posted shutouts in 3 of 4 home CCL matches, they’ve not posted a shutout at home in their past seven in regular-season play. That’s the longest they’ve ever gone.
- Only two MLS expansion teams have posted more wins in their first 13 matches than Charlotte’s five. the chicago fire won 7 of their first 13 in 1998 and LAFC won 6 of 13 in 2018.
- Jordan Morris, Nouhou, Cristian Roldan and Albert Rusnák will all join their respective national teams following this match. Xavier Arreaga is also expected to be called in.
- Andre Shinyashiki is Charlotte’s second-leading scorer with two goals. He has scored three times in six career appearances against the Sounders.
OUT: Joao Paulo (ACL)
OUT: Vinicius Mello (left foot surgery); Adam Armor (left knee surgery); Yordy Reyna (left thigh injury); Pablo Sisniega (concussion); Karol Świderski (international call-up)
QUESTIONABLE: Christian Fuchs (right thigh injury); Chris Hegardt (left knee surgery); Harrison Afful (left lower leg injury)
REFEREE: Rosendo Mendoza; ASSISTANTS: Jeff Hosking, Mike Rottersman; FOURTH OFFICIAL: Victor Rivas; VAR: Edwin Jurisevic; AVAR: Eric Weisbrod
match date/kick off time: Sunday, 6:55 PM
venue: Lumen Field, Seattle
Online Streaming: fubo TV (affiliate link), FoxSports.com
National English TV: FS1 (JP Dellacamera & Stu Holden)
Local Radio: 93.3 KJR-FM Seattle, iHeartMedia (Costigan, Keller)
Itcto Spanishh Radio: The King 1360 AM (Rodriguez, Maqueda, Tapia)
National Spanish TV: Fox Sports
Australia & New Zealand: beIN Sports Australia
Brazil: DAZN (Brazil)
China: China Sports Media
China (Closed-Circuit TV): Star Sports
Czech Republic & Slovakia: Nova Sport (Czech Republic)
Georgia: Silk Sport
Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain: DAZN (Europe)
Latin America: ESPN Latin America
Netherlands: ESPN Netherlands
South Korea: Coupang Play
Southeast Asia: beIN Sports Asia
Sub-Saharan Africa: ESPN Africa
Ukraine: Football 1
United Kingdom & Ireland: Free Sports
Highlights will be posted as the match progresses.
This is Seattle Sounders vs. Charlotte F.C.; watch with us
Sounder at Heart has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Sounder at Heart may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.